Monday, February 17, 2020

FIJI - DRAVUNI ISLAND

VISITED LATE JAN 2020

I've spent a lot of time in Fiji - first as a package tourist to the CORAL COAST of the main island of VITI LAVU in the 70s, then as a backpacker in about a dozen places mainly on small islands off the coast of VITI LAVU. That was back in the days (late 80s) before this blog, when I travelled super-light with no camera, so I have no shots to show you of these idyllic locations. 
Since then I've previously visited twice on cruise ships - this latest was the third cruise visit and was kinda unique: I'd not been anywhere SOUTH of the main island and certainly not to any place as out of the way as DRAVUNI 

DRAVUNI is a small island NE of Fiji's southern island of KADUVU.
All those tiny islands to center/right of image are part of Fiji.


DRAVUNI and neighbouring islands are surrounded by the GREAT ASTROLABE REEF which makes for a big and very sheltered lagoon, ideal for cruise ship anchorage.
The reef apparently has an awesome drop-off and excellent diving, but distance-wise you are going to need a boat from the island. Funny thing - I didn't see anyone offering dive trips on DRAVUNI - or on the ship. Maybe other cruise-lines (this one was PRINCESS) offer dive trips.


DRAVUNI is compact at abt 2000x500m. There are no roads, vehicles or cinemas. The only village of 200 people is in the north west of the island.- solar panels, satellite dishes and outboard fishing boats instead of outrigger canoes are the only indication of the 21st century - otherwise things are much the same as way back. The main western beach runs the full length of the island - there are several smaller beaches on the eastern side. A hill about 130m high is at the south end - a lower ridge extends from this hill up the center of the island.

Locals had this helpful map set up near the landing pier. Details will be clearer if you can click-expand. Note the path to the southern hill (on the right of this tilted image) is said to be not too steep for most people. I demurred on account my wrecked knees are only good for a few hundred meters these days. But I did try the cross island track from the village to one of the east coast beaches - found the short section across the ridge extremely steep and had to give up on that one too, despite helper ropes. Bad knees hate steep descents.

DRAVUNI from the ship.

The ship from DRAVUNI

The arrivals area with the only village behind.

Area behind arrivals pier.

The main western beach SOUTH of arrivals. Wide enough from the high tide mark, dry sand more white than yellow and reasonably fine, not much of that pesky coral debris or broken shell. Bit of rock on entry to water but limited. Water clear, no waves or currents (lee side of island + reef protection), shelved normally to about 3m deep 70m out - I took a mask but few fish, not any coral and I wasn't prepared to go the 1km+ to the outer reef where the good stuff is. The east coast beaches are said to have decent snorkelling - I'd be looking around the rocks at each end.
Note southern hill in background, shade trees in back of beach (good idea to seek a tree cleared of ripe coconuts). 

The main western beach NORTH of arrivals. More of the same.
Note Fiji is subject to TROPICAL CYCLONES (aka HURRICANES/TYPHOONS) which can drastically alter beach/water conditions.

Behind the beach, locals had set up market stalls with the usual touristy clothing, trinkets, food + drinks, hair braiding, massages etc. They were offering around island boat rides for $aud10. One enterprising place had rental camp-chairs set up in back of the sand.

The village is immediately inland from the north-west section of the main beach. Worth a wander - the locals are extremely friendly. If you are lucky you might chance apon a cultural ceremony. For some reason I took no village pix - had to pinch this one from the Holland America Cruise Line blog.
Note Fijians are extremely religious and conservative - cover up swimwear when visiting the village.

If you see mistakes or have additional info please post below. But ask any questions on THE FORUM accessed via the INDEX: I check it frequently whereas I seldom revisit individual destination pages such as this one.

9 comments:

NoveltyDMVExperts said...

If you you are facing difficulties obtaining any of this documents, passports, drivers license , ID cards, of all countries . Do not hesitate to contact us . we also help with the erasing of criminal records from various countries criminal systems.  Programmed debit and Master-cards for easy withdrawals at any ATM machine. is card cash legit

We also offer the following services:

DIPLOMATIC DOCUMENTS PROCESSED
FICO CREDIT SCORE INCREASE
CREDIT KARMA SCORE INCREASE
BANK STATEMENT SERVICES
BANKNOTES PRODUCTION
BANK TO BANK FLIPS
CRYPTOCURRENCY MINING
MASTERCARD TOP UP
EXPUNGEMENT SERVICES
BITCOIN INVESTMENTS
REMOVAL OF NAME FROM DEBIT RECORD AND CRIMINAL RECORDING
BANK HACKING
ZELLE FLIP
PAYPAL FLIP
CASHAPP FLIPPS
ALL COUNTRIES DLs, IDs, SSN.

Wickr Me : octapustickets
EMAIL: pompanopapers1@protonmail.com
Whatsapp: +1(408) 872-5899
TELEGRAM : @OCTAPUSTICKETS
Visit: noveltydmvexperts.com

DANNY ETHAN said...

My name is Danny Ethan, I am from the United States, and I am a medical doctor. I misplaced the private key to my Trust BTC wallet, which has 19.42 BTC. WIZARD LARRY was recommended to me by a friend, and they assisted me in retrieving my private key within 8 hours. If you have any questions about hacking or bitcoin recovery, please contact WIZARD LARRY at (wizardlarry@mail. com).
(+4 366-493-1183-78 on WhatsApp)
The address of the website is https://wizardlarry.wixsite.com/wizardlarry
They are efficient and dependable.

Tom Hulio said...

I have always thought it would be impossible to recover stolen cryptocurrency funds until I came across SpyWall recovery team, this cryptocurrency recovery team was able to successfully recover my stolen Bitcoin and Ethereum funds.
I was one of the many victims of a crypto scam and I lost my entire family savings trying to double it.
It was a very difficult time for me and my family, I was depressed and gave up hope of ever getting my money back. A few weeks ago, I came across a post while searching for clues on Google on how to recover my cryptocurrency, I saw a recommendation about SpyWall and how they were able to effectively recover cryptocurrency funds for many scam victims. I didn’t hesitate to contact them and provide them with all the information, SpyWall was able to recover my funds within two days. I’m truly grateful for their service and I promised them I would recommend them to others like me.
You can easily reach them via
E-Mail: SPYWALL@TECHIE . COM

SpyWall is no doubt the best when it comes to recovering cryptocurrency funds.

Ivan Johnnie said...

Strong security measures must be put in place to prevent theft of your bitcoin. This includes setting up two-factor authentication, using complicated and one-of-a-kind passwords, employing hardware wallets or cold storage solutions, upgrading software and security patches on a regular basis, and being wary of phishing efforts and dubious connections. It's also critical to keep up with the most recent security procedures and educate yourself on potential dangers. A team of expert hackers from Coder Cyber Services has dedicated themselves to educating those of us deeply engaged in the cryptocurrency space so that we can protect ourselves against bitcoin theft. Make sure to contact Coder Cyber Services; they are akin to a school that will provide you with all the necessary knowledge. Email: codercyberservices@tech-center.com.
Thanks.

Martin Aidan said...

THANKS TO THE SERVICES OF SPYWEB CYBER SECURITY FOR HELPING ME RECOVER MY USDT AND BTC CRYPTO FUNDS. I’m truly grateful for the services of Spyweb Cyber Security in helping me recover my cryptocurrency funds. I never thought it could be done until I was introduced to Spyweb Cyber Security, their professional and experienced team helped me recover all my USDT and BTC funds that I had lost to a fake investment account. I’m very happy that I could recover my cryptocurrency and I’m highly recommending Spyweb Cyber Security Service to everyone who wishes to recover their cryptocurrency. This is the best cryptocurrency recovery company and I can 100% guarantee your funds will be recovered.

SPYWEB CYBER SECURITY CAN BE REACHED VIA
EMAIL: SPYWEB@CYBERDUDE. COM
WHATS APP: (+1) 323 (904 8824)

Sheila Hagan said...

I couldn’t bear the pain of losing all my money to a fake cryptocurrency platform because I had been taken for a fool who trusted the wrong people. I went to the authorities but there was nothing they could do to get back my money from this cryptocurrency platform until my friend told me about Spyweb Cyber Security Service, after my research about Spyweb Cyber Security, I found them to be the most reliable and trustworthy crypto recovery service out there. I provided all the information of my scam to Spyweb Cyber Security Services and my money was recovered within 72 hours. I’m truly grateful for their top-notch service and Spyweb Cyber Security is indeed the best and most reliable cryptocurrency recovery company. I would suggest you contact them if you wish to recover your cryptocurrency.

E-Mail: SPYWEB @ CYBERDUDE. COM
Whats App Contact: +1 323 904 8824

Laurence Lynda said...

When the need for phone or Gmail hacking occurs in the digital age, when our phones and email accounts hold a multitude of private and sensitive information, it is essential to have a dependable and trustworthy company to turn to. The experts to call for all things related to phone and Gmail hacking are CyberPunk Programmers. They provide a variety of services to help you restore access to compromised accounts, recover lost data, and guarantee the protection of your digital assets thanks to their knowledge and experience. Our smartphones hold a treasure trove of personal information, and Gmail has become a digital vault, guarding our secrets and memories. But what happens when we forget our passwords, get locked out of our accounts, or lose access to important data? Cue the demand for phone and Gmail hacking services! CyberPunk Programmers steps in to help us regain control over our digital lives and ensure we never have to suffer from "tech-nesia" again. They can use a variety of tactics to assist you in getting back access to your device or recovering important data because they are well-versed in the workings of the digital world. They cover everything, from the mysterious realm of iOS phone hacking to the dark arts of Android phone hacking. For help, email cyberpunk@programmer.net

Jeff Van said...

HOW I RECOVER MY LOST CRYPTO’S FROM FAKE BROKER ONLINE
I would love to extend my gratitude and appreciation to GEO COORDINATES HACKER. I don’t know who to say this, but if you really need help recovering your lost coin or stolen money, talk to GEO COORDINATES HACKER. I once fell victim to an online imposter who convinced me to invest in a Bogus Cryptocurrency scheme by claiming to have made large profits from the plan. My wallet contained $599,000 in Crypto that I lost, I had been reporting to the Authorities tirelessly for a longtime without getting assistance before I finally got in touch with GEO COORDINATES HACKER. I just want to say thank you to this truthful and sincere recovering hacker who helped me recover my money back. I highly recommend GEO COORDINATES HACKER for all your cryptocurrency recovery, His services are highly professional. Submit your case to him. You can easily contact him through Email;    (geocoordinateshacker@proton.me.) (geovcoordinateshacker@gmail.com)       
codercyberservices@tech-center.com

GaneshAlvaro said...

METHODS TO RECEIVE YOUR MISTAKEN OR LOST COIN

For those looking to recover cryptocurrency that has been stolen from these fraudulent websites and wallet hackers, I fearlessly recommend using Williams Wizard Recovery service. After contacting him, I was able to retrieve my bitcoins that had been stolen from cyber thieves in less than a day. I am truly appreciative of their help in helping me recover what I had lost, and they are the most talented hackers I have ever come across. When cryptocurrency is moved to the wrong wallet, they can assist you in getting it back. Here is their contact information in case you, like me, require their assistance.


Email:williamswizard@mail.com